Week 3 - First night in Chiang Mai






"Chiang Mai sits in a lush tropical valley, surrounded by mountains which historically have protected the city from any major outside influence. Although foreigners have been living here for more than 150 years, it is only during the last 10 years that their presence here has become significant. Some retire here, others come and go at their own leisure, while an increasing number enjoy making it their home for a few years"


I really love Chiang Mai. I reckon I could come and live here. DON'T PANIC! I said I could, not I would... despite what some of you have said, I really will come home eventually!

Our room was fine, but it really stank. We dumped our stuff, got showered (and a real shower, not a wet wipe shower that I had been having over the past 30 hours). It's at this point I became grateful for being so shortsighted. It means I can't see any bugs when having showers. Stephen questioned why I hadn't screamed at the beetle that was passing me the shower gel. I just hadn't seen it. Nor had I seen the one in the Khao Lak shower. A true short sighted blessing!

We just wandered about that evening. It was Thursday and quite busy. The long wknd festivities had began and we watched as a parade went by. Lots of costumes, and colours and music.

Back in our room that night was the first time I had to use my mosquito net. I felt like a princess. A suffocating princess. I don't think I put it up high enough, but it did the trick and I was bite free in the morning :)


No comments: